Monday, March 19, 2012

True Grit Baby

Ok so remember last year how bad this race turned out? Well good thing Bobby and I gave it another chance because this year it was a blast!
We went down 3 times to ride in St Geo this winter--SO FUN!! I wanted to dial the Zen Trail in. I think we did it a total of 5 times. Technical isn't necessarily my strong point, BUT I've sure improved with it and I would say I'm not too shabby at it now :) I would have to thank my husband for my improved technical abilities because that IS his strong point and he's always so encouraging to me and tries to teach me new ways to get up/down scary stuff. LOVE HIM!!!
Anyway, True Grit race started out looking like it was going to be an awful stormy day, but all my prayers must have done something because it turned out to be the perfect racing temps.
I started out in 2nd place and stayed there the whole race. I stayed with Jesse Sorenson of Wild Child Mountain Bike Team (Downhill Cyclery in Payson). He was such a stud to ride with, very encouraging and we took our turns pulling each other, which was very nice because the wind was prettttttty bad. I've decided I'm a kite in the wind...Tall and Skinny, so the wind just eats me up.
Zen could have gone a little better but I'm just being a perfectionist. I made it up all the stuff I really wanted to that I've struggled with in the past. YEEEAAAAH! Then on stuff that was never a problem for me became a problem because guys in front of me would bobble and have to get off and run up, this made me bobble and have to run up. Oh well, I'm grateful I can ride 99% of that trail now.
Kathy Sherwin was the womens leader and let me give you a little history. In a 2-3 hour race a couple years ago I would come in 30 min behind her. So with True Grit being 5 hours I came in 9 min behind her! Hell yes. Doc's (Andrew Creer) coaching program is doing me some major good! Thanks Doc!!! You rock.
Mountain Bike Race News made a big deal about her finishing 10 min in front of me and was a little degrading to me, but I say forget those guys, they don't know how much I've improved.

Bobby did so amazing. That he can ride 5 hours with legs that are cramping off and on the whole time just blows me away!




Highlight of the day:
Getting second duh! I won a little money which is also sweet.
Lowlight:
My garmin watch causing me so much excruciating pain that I had to take it off while riding. That night I developed a goose egg on my wrist and couldn't lift anything or even brush my teeth. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment