Tuesday, April 19, 2011

UVU Road Race

I've been really curious ever since I started riding bikes to see what road racing is all about.
Working at a road specific bike shop has added to that curiosity because we have the Ozone Team coming in and talking about racing all the time.
Last Saturday was the UVU Road Race around West Mountain. If you've been reading my blog you'll know that I love that ride! :) I decided this would be a great introductory road race for me. I talked Bobby into racing as well. So the night before the race we stayed at the shop late with SBR owner Kyle who talked to us about road racing strategy. He helped each of us come up with a plan. Kyle is such a stud, we think he's the greatest.
Bobby and I warmed up together with a couple of the other UVU team guys and then got back quickly so that Bobby wouldn't miss his start. His group was ginormous! I think there were about 45 racers in his Cat 5 group and Cat 4 men had 50! Well I wasn't lucky enough because when I got to the start line it was just me and another girl. I was pissed. I sat there and talked this girl who was watching the start into racing. She was all ready to go kitted up and everything. Then another girl rolled up, she had a power tap hub on so I knew she was somewhat serious.
The race started and 2 guys who race Cat 4 decided it would be cool to ride with us. Well one of them was the girl whom I talked into racing's husband and the other was the best friend of a different girl  that was racing. Pissed again, call me old fashioned but guys should never ride in a group of women that are racing, especially if they're married to them or best friends with them. Anyway,  we rolled out at a mellow speed and I let the other girls pull and took a turn myself. I was actually a little worried about a couple of the girls so I was going to stick with the strategy that Kyle told me to use. The course went uphill a little and I stayed there comfortable behind someone and next hill I attacked! It was really fun to surprise them like that when I reached the top of the hill one of the girls (with the power tap) was within a good distance so I decided to keep stomping on the peddles and see where that would take me.
On the next flat, straight-a-way followed by a decent hill I went about 90% of my max. She was gone, I couldn't even see her or the other girls (and guys). I time trialed it for the next 18 miles until the finish in a strong head wind. I thought for sure they would catch me since there were 5 of them and 1 of me in the wind. I won by 3 minutes, which is a pretty good gap I think.
It was fun, but definitely left something to be desired. I want more competition and more people to race against!
Bobby had a killer race. I saw his huge group coming around the corner headed on a straight- a-way for a sprint finish. He had a good position toward the front, but not right in front. He sprinted and came in 5th! I was so freakin proud of him. I think road racing is his niche. 
Nice work hun!

1 comment:

  1. That does not really sound fun but GREAT JOB! You left them in the dust nevertheless! Nice work! Hope the next one is going to be better!

    ReplyDelete