Sunday, March 6, 2011

New Bike!

I sold my Fezzari CR3 and bought this gorgeous Look 566. I love her. Her name's Carolina.


Me and Bobby went for a ride and I'm happy to say that Carolina's first ride was a worthy one...West Mountain :D  I told ya, it's my favorite ride in the winter. I felt so great on my new bike. I have been riding bikes that are too big for me my whole riding/racing career. People have been fitting me the classic yet completely mistaken way of sizing a person to a bike and that is; according to how tall a person is.  Here's how it's pretty much gone for me when getting a new bike "Wow! You're a tall girl! You're almost 6 feet? Ok you need to be on a 58cm bike." Or if it was a mountain bike they put me on a large and a couple times an extra large. Now I know this is a very...how do I say this nicely? It's a very inaccurate way of sizing a person and their bike. That's nice enough for me.

After working at a bike shop for the last month I now know that the top tube length is the most important measurement on a bike when finding a bike for someone. Yes I'm freakin tall, but guess what size I'm riding on my Look? A 55cm!! Crazy huh?! I've been riding a 58cm for the last 7 years and I should have (most likely) been on a 55-56cm bike frame because of my tiny torso. By tiny I'm talking about in relation to my extremely long legs. So I am very comfortable on my new bike and I feel fast! :D

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! So glad you found the perfect bike! The whole sizing thing totally makes sense. But it sure looks crazy to have the seat so high! It looks very fast too though! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, that seat is way up there! That'll be allot of torque at the junction of the top tube and seat post tube. Watch closely for cracking. That's where I always have problems. One of the very few disadvantages of being tall!

    ReplyDelete